What do you know about acid reflux? This is a pretty familiar burning sensation that is felt in the chest area and caused by the stomach acid that flows back into esophagus. This condition is frequently referred to as heartbeat.
As the sensation is rather unpleasant, there is no wonder that we keep looking for possible ways and options to get rid of acid reflux. When it attacks, it causes serious discomfort and even pain that lasts from a few minutes to several hours.
Causes of Acid Reflux
LES (lower esophageal sphincter) is a valve at the entrance to the stomach. It works opening and allowing foods to get into the stomach. After this the valve closes immediately. Its main task is to keep stomach acid and food from escaping the stomach, but still there are frequent cases, when the lower esophageal sphincter is weak or irritated, thus it cannot close entirely, which causes penetration of acid back to the esophagus. As long as esophagus does not have enough mucus protection, we experience pain.
Mild and Severe Symptoms
If you want to get rid of acid reflux, you should be acquainted with the main symptoms of the condition. The commonest symptoms are heartburn and stomach ache, nausea, vomiting, headache, chest and throat pain.
These symptoms can produce light mucosal erosion, edema, ulcers or even bleeding of the digestive tract. Some patients also experience Barrett’s esophagus. This is the condition when the tissue lining is replaced by tissue similar to the intestine lining. This is a precancerous lesion, as patients are usually 30-50 times to get esophagus cancer.
However, there are many cases, when the condition is confused with the diseases that have similar symptoms (angina and ulcer patients).
How to Get Rid of Acid Reflux?
There are several popular methods that have already proven their efficiency, safety and reliability. Here are some of them:
- Eat smaller meals. This is a pretty effective treatment option. When you eat large meals, it leads to acid reflux. Eating smaller meals and spreading them throughout the day helps the digestive tract, giving it more time to digest the food before taking another load. Besides, after eating a meal, refuse from lying down right away.
- Aloe juice helps to soothe your stomach. The plant is known for soothing burns, but it can do more than that. Reducing inflammation, it helps heartburns. When the tummy gets inflamed and irritated, a glass of aloe vera juice helps to calm it down.
- Cucumber slices can be an effective remedy as well. If you experience the condition frequently, try to prevent it by eating a few slices every day, or adding cucumber to your salad. Soon acid reflux will disappear completely.
- You can prepare a special baking soda mixture in order to obtain fast relief. There is no doubt that everyone has this ingredient it the kitchen, so why not use it? Prepare a mixture and drink it as soon as uncomfortable symptoms take place. Just take one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with a glass of lukewarm water. It will reduce the production of acid and eliminate acid reflux.
- Another option to try out is eating an apple or banana. Why? Bananas have natural antacids that act as a kind of a buffer against the condition. If you are aiming at trying out this home remedy, take a few bananas and eat them daily. If you like apples more, you can slice up the fruit and eat it 1-2 hours before going to bed. Be sure it will help you to prevent discomfort.
If you want to get rid of acid reflux, choose any of these home remedies and eliminate symptoms and their possible consequences.